HOW TO COORDINATE YOUR MOVE WITH YOUR BUILDING
Many buildings, especially co-ops, impose strict moving policies to avoid monopolizing the elevators or inconveniencing other residents with noise. Learn about these restrictions, at both your current and new residences, as early as possible. If you are hoping to move on days surrounding the first of the month, it may be necessary to reserve a time slot.
COVERINGS AND DOORWAYS
Buildings often require a freight elevator be used and protective coverings be placed, to avoid damaging floors, hallways, and elevators. It is important to verify building regulations and to make sure your furniture will fit, at both locations beforehand. You need to know the dimensions of the elevator, door openings, hallways, and staircases.
QUESTIONS TO ASK
• Are there special moving hours?
• Is it possible to reserve a time slot?
• Are there restrictions on elevator or entrance use?
• What precautions have to be taken to protect floors, hallways and elevators?
• Is it possible to reserve space in front of building entrances or loading docks, for trucks to load/unload?