Changing your address probably seems like a pretty simple task, right? Everyone knows they need to do it, and they know where the post office is, yet many still make some type of mistake. Some even forget completely. This is often a task that just gets put off every week because it is so obvious until it just gets neglected completely.  You might not even put it on your to-do list because you know you won’t forget it. If you have a long-distance moving adventure in the near future, use this guide to make sure your address change is taken care of properly.

Double Check Your Address
You know your new address, right? How sure are you that it is correct? Are you positive that you live on a street, or could it be a road, boulevard, court, etc.? Are you sure “First” street is correct or is it supposed to be “1st” street? It may not seem like a big deal, but if your new city has both streets, then your mail could end up at the wrong address. It is extremely important to verify this before giving your address to your long-distance movers. If they create their route or use GPS based on the wrong address, you give them, you will be waiting for them to arrive to unload, and they will be knocking on the wrong door. This is not really the ideal way to start the next chapter in your life.

Change of Address
You will need to change your address with the post office. You can go into a branch and fill out the request card in person or you can do it right online. The online service does charge you $1 for verification purposes. You can also call 1-800-ASK-USPS to do it. If your long-distance movers are putting everything in storage and you are living in temporary housing until you find a permanent place, obtain a P.O. Box online at a branch in your new area.

Make a List
Changing your address at the post office is a great start, but it does not begin to cover the list of people you need to notify. Take a minute and write down everyone that needs to be notified, and check them off as you take care of them. A few include:

  • Car, homeowner’s, and health insurance provider
  • Doctors and dentists
  • Banks
  • Credit cards
  • Utility companies
  • Magazine subscriptions
  • Government offices
  • Current and previous employer (for W-2s)
  • Friends and family
  • DMV

Notify the IRS
Your favorite uncle needs to be notified of your move, whether you like him or not. This is one a lot of people forget. The easiest way to do this is to go to the website and use Form 8222. You can also send a signed written statement that includes your name and social security number, along with your current and new address. If you don’t mind making a phone call or visiting a branch in person, you can let the IRS know your address change orally.

Categories: Move Planning