Moving to a new home can be an exciting and memorable experience. However, the moving experience relies heavily on packing your belongings the proper way. Whether you are moving across town or across the country, proper packing can help ensure that your items arrive at your new home safely and in pristine condition. Here are some tips on how to pack your belongings for your next move.
Packing can be a time-consuming process, so it will be beneficial to start as early as possible.
- Procrastination Is Bad: Waiting to pack can lead to stress, rushed packing, and could even cause you to forget items.
- Create an Order: Begin packing things that you do not use as often, as you won’t need access to them as much. Once you get closer to your moving date, begin packing more essential belongings.
- Dedicate Space: As you start to pack boxes, make sure to have a space to organize the boxes so that all of the things you have packed are together.
Before you start physically packing your items, it is important to create a packing plan.
- Timeline: Create an ordered timeline for when you will pack each room. This can give you direction for where to start when packing.
- Materials or Help: Make sure that you have arranged the proper moving help for your move before you get close to your move date. Additionally, make sure that if you are moving solo that you have all the boxes and packing materials you will need.
- Items: Make sure to write your items and how you will pack them. This will help you keep track of everything, as you can cross each item off when finished.
Start With Heavy Items
Starting with heavier items is one of the most important tips to use when packing.
Clothing: Make sure to have a good technique when packing your clothes. By rolling rather than folding, you can conserve space and materials.
Books: Because books are heavy when packed together, you will need high quality boxes. Additionally you may want to consider cutting back on your collection by selling any excess books.
Fragile Items: It is important to use sturdy boxes and packing materials to protect these items during transport. If you fail to do this, they could become damaged and also damage items around it.
Weight Distribution: Another important part of moving these items is having the weight evenly distributed throughout the box to prevent it from being awkward to lift.
Pack An Essentials Box
An essentials box is important during a move and can help you during your first few days in your new house. Here are some things to pack in this box:
- Toiletries: Items such as toilet paper, toothbrushes and all other toiletries are essential to your life. By having these things easily accessible during the first days of your adjustment, you will be set up nicely to continue your routines.
- Medications: If anyone moving is currently on any type of daily medication, it is important to pack them in this box as well. By keeping it near in the essentials box you will not struggle to find them when you need them.
- Bedding: Bedding is important as it will make you feel more at home and provide a place to recharge after a long day of moving.
- Clothing: Having a few changes of clothes can be a life saver during this busy time, and will be one less thing you will have to worry about.
- Valuable Items: Whether it be jewelry or important documents, it is important to keep valuable items near and safe. By putting them in this box, you guarantee their safety, and can easily track them down.
Make sure that you pack this box separately from the rest of your items, and clearly label it so that it is easy to find when you are at your destination.
Use FlatRate Packing and Unpacking
FlatRate Moving provides top of the line packing and unpacking services for all moves to help ease the stress of your move.
- Quality Materials: FlatRate Moving uses sturdy boxes, as well as strong tape and quality packing paper in order to keep your items safe.
- Professional Procedures: All of FlatRate’s movers are professionally trained on the safest way to pack and load your belongings. This will ensure that all of your belongings are taken great care of.
- Speedy Adjustment: Unpacking can be a long process, and be stressful. With FlatRate’s packing and unpacking services, movers will help align your furniture and other items as you would like. This ensures the safety of your items, and can be an efficient way to adjust to your new surroundings.
Moving to a new home offers the opportunity for a fresh start, and by following these packing tips and considering the additional services FlatRate Moving offers, you can set yourself up for a smooth move. Remember to stay organized, plan ahead, and give yourself plenty of time to pack and prepare for your next move. With proper packing, you minimize the risk of damaging items, and will set yourself up to be able to unpack easier. Our advice is to embrace the adventure of moving, and set yourself up to be able to settle into your new home with ease.