Moving is a tough time, not only because you are uprooting yourself and your family from familiar territory in exchange for new and unfamiliar experiences, but also because you have a hard decision to make. You can either spend lots of money hiring a professional moving company, or you can tough it out and do it all on your own.
Unless money is extremely tight, it often makes more sense to just go with the moving company. Not only will you be able to relax more throughout the process, but you will benefit from the experience of the moving company when it comes to getting everything done as quickly as possible.
Here are a few things that a professional moving company can handle for you that you probably wouldn’t have the time or resources to do on your own:
- Coordinating long-distance moves: When your old home is only right down the street from your new home, it’s pretty easy to move everything. But if you’re going through multiple states things can become much more complicated. A professional moving company can coordinate the entire process through a network of contacts, ensuring you have a solid team there to help you from start to finish.
- Properly packing your boxes: As an amateur mover, you are likely to make a lot of mistakes when you pack your boxes. While you may have moved five, ten, or even twenty times, professional movers have handled hundreds (if not thousands) of moves. When you hire a mover to pack your things, you can be sure that they will pack them safely and securely, as well as efficiently.
- Calculating space: Normal people tend to eyeball the amount of space they will need while moving. This goes from the number and size of boxes need to the size of the truck to the hallways and doors of the new location. The professional moving team will use methods that allow them to measure the cubic footage needed for each of these things. Unless you want to sit there with a slide ruler, they are going to do this way better than you could.
- Insurance: When you pack and move your stuff, you have to deal with anything that is broken. If the movers break or lose anything, they have an insurance company that will handle the claim for you.
- Supplies, Contacts, and Muscle Power: These folks handle moves all day, every day. It is their job to have the right supplies (boxes, hand trucks, tape) and to know who to contact throughout the moving process. They also have individuals who can handle all of the heavy lifting for you throughout the whole process.
Your move is going to be stressful. Hiring a professional moving company can reduce that stress significantly. And even if something does go wrong, you are left with options that help make things right. Consider hiring a moving company to make the experience as pleasant as possible.