The right window coverings will make or break the aesthetics of your home. Whether you are selling your house or moving into a new apartment, many people are not prepared for the vast selection of coverings that are available when they first start shopping. Some still think that there are basically curtains and blinds. Well, blinds cover a huge assortment of styles and the variety of curtains, drapes, sheers and valances that are also available is endless. This should give you an ideal of what is out there so you know where to focus your attention. Understand though that this is only the tip of the iceberg.
- Plantation Shutters – Contrary to what you may think, plantation shutters are not quite the same thing as mini-blinds. They receive their name because although they originated in the Mediterranean and hit parts of Europe before being used in the United States., they were added to homes on plantations in the South first. They have wide louvers to allow for maximum light and air circulation, and are typically made from wood or a high quality material.
- Printed – You may be interested to learn that there are manufacturers that will take a photographic image and transport it to the blinds by either printing or engraving it. When the blinds are open, you do not see the picture, but when you close them, your window turns into a fantastic piece of art. This is how you really add a personal touch to a home or office.
- Cellular Shades – Offer your room a warm soft glow with cellular shades. They provide privacy without making your room pitch dark and many are insulated to be energy efficient.
- Hunter Douglas – Although this is a manufacturer and not a style, Hunter Douglas offers so many unique types of window coverings that they warrant their own category. They are customizable so you can choose a style and then also pick the material. A few popular favorites include Silhouette, Duette, Luminette, Vignette, Pirouette and Heritance.
- Curtains and Drapes – Although the same concept, the two are not a little different. Curtains are generally hung by a rod and are not lined. On the other hand, drapes start at the top of the window and fall to the floor and are lined.
- Sheers – As the name implies, these window coverings are made with a sheer material. They bring an elegant look to any room, but do not offer much privacy. Many people choose to use these over blinds for the best of both worlds.
- Valances – These short curtains can bring a lot of personality to a space. They only cover a short portion of the window, generally at the top, but are often paired up with a curtain that begins at a lower part of the window.
Choosing window coverings for your home is a big decision. They have the ability to really pull the room together. Unfortunately, the wrong ones can take away from the overall appearance of your home. If you choose shutters or blinds, consider scheduling a free consultation with a company that can help you choose ones that will complement the rest of your décor.
Moving to a new house? Learn how FlatRate’s team of expert movers can make your move stress free!